Saturday, August 02, 2008

Sweet Corn

.
Corn, glorious corn! Fresh corn on the cob! Beautiful sweet golden kernels! In Italy corn is grown primarily as pig feed. Pig is big here. Prosciutto, pancetta, sausages, and a few parts they use that you probably don't want to know about. It's hard to find fresh corn on the cob like this and when you do, you pay. 1,80 euro for these two! But I was willing to pay their extortionate prices because the cobs I have seen this year looked like they'd been on the shelf too long -- because Italians don't eat corn this way, they eat polenta -- and my craving was worsening. Guess what's for dinner tonight?

1 comment:

Caladh said...

I have trouble finding fresh corn on the cob in Germany, too. This year was better, and I enjoyed it! I didn't look at the price, because I just wanted to buy it and eat it. :-)