Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Language Barrier

I was returning home from garden shopping with my dear friend and neighbor Uli when we both noticed a young girl walking on the side of the road rather enthusiastically shaking her hips back and forth as she walked, enhanced by something written on her pants across her derriere. I laughed and said "Can I get some fries to go with that shake?" Uli looked at me sideways, which is not uncommon, and I tried to explain in Italian what I had just said in English. Thanks to the infiltration of the McDonald's food chain in Europe, it was easy to explain the shake part. Unfortunately, the whole thing just didn't translate. Oh well. We stopped the car a little farther up at the local bar and together enjoyed a prosecco with Campari. A good cocktail, a universal language.
.

No comments: