Monday, April 09, 2012

Buona Pasqua!

An Easter tradition here in Italy is Torta di Formaggio, Cheese Bread.  Be warned, it's a dangerous bread.  Crusty outside and cheesy inside.  Bread filled with chunks of Swiss cheese and laced with grated Parmesan and butter.  I think we ate almost half the loaf immediately after it cooled from the oven. 

350 grams of flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1 package yeast
100 grams of melted butter
150 grams of cubed Swiss Cheese
100 grams of grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon salt and pepper

Warm the milk and dissolve the yeast into it.   Then I have a dirty confession, I don't really follow any rules and just start mixing everything together with a wooden spoon, except the Swiss cheese which I add at the end.  And as long as I'm confessing, I don't knead the dough either.  Phew, I feel so much better now that I've gotten that off my chest!  Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise about 2 hours.  Grease a loaf pan and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Oh, and Happy Easter!
.


No comments: