Friday, March 30, 2012

Chinese Tea Eggs

Yes, I know Chinese Tea Eggs have nothing to do with Italy other than the fact that I crave ethnic foods other than Italian sometimes.  This post goes out to my nephew Colin who asked me for this recipe so long ago that I'm sure he's forgotten all about it by now....

Ingredients

6 eggs
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 black tea bags
4 pieces star anise
1 small stick cinnamon

Put eggs in a medium-sized pot with enough water to cover the eggs. Bring water to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 3 minutes. Remove eggs from heat and allow them to cool a bit before handling (running them under cold water does the trick quickly.) Take the back of a knife and crack eggs evenly all around.

Return eggs to the pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring liquid to boil again, then simmer for 1 to 3 hours, longer for a more intense flavor and color, adding water if level gets too low.  I boil mine no less than 3 hours.  Keep in mind you can adjust the amount of each ingredient to your taste.  I'm thinking of using Earl Grey tea bags next time!
.

No comments: